The school employs the services of a school based social worker.
The following services are rendered to our families:
- Liaise with parents/guardians where financial difficulties influence learner development and support the family by making use of support systems within the school as well as community structures.
- Provides emotional support to learners and their families where trauma in the family (illness, divorce, death, unstable family, etc) hinders scholastic development.
- Investigate all reports of bully behaviour, gives feedback and support.
- Handles all reports of deliberate neglect, abuse and sexual violation by managing the process of reporting to the designated authorities. Follow up and gives support.
- Parental guidance in coordination with the psychologists.
- Provides family therapy when necessary.
- Provides individual therapy to the learner when necessary.
- Support and liaise with social service providers where learner was placed in alternative care.
- Address the issue of substance abuse by the learner by involving the family and referring when necessary.
- Conducts therapeutic groups for learners where emotional and social intelligence are taught.
- Forms part of the multi-disciplinary team in all aspects of learner development and support.
Paarl School offers a wide network of emotional support services, providing emotional support to learners, staff members and parents.
Examples of these services include the following:
- Reach for a Dream
- Chat sessions for learners – full time person available to chat to learners
- Birthday “surprises”
- Feeding Project
- Second hand clothes Project
- Annual function to thank the donors and benefactors of this faculty
- “Time Out” facility – full time person available to oversee learners in a dedicated area