On 18 July 1978 the first learners were admitted to Paarl School.
It was the realisation of a dream of the Dutch Reformed Church concerning the care for cerebral palsied learners, which already started in 1957. A house in Paarl, as well as 8,5 hectares outside Paarl, was donated during the 1960’s to the “Paarlse Komitee vir Serebraal Gestremdes”, a sub-committee of the Social Services Committee of the Church.
After years of deliberation with the Department of National Education, the founding of a school for cerebral palsied learners was approved. There were however certain articles of agreement which stated that the school be nearer to an urban area, for the recruitment of specialised staff, as well as close to a well-equipped hospital, in this case the Tygerberg Hospital.
In 1972 land was purchased in Brackenfell for the building of the school and in July 1978 Paarl School opened its doors. As the initiative, and many years of striving for the establishment of such a school, came from persons in Paarl, it was decided to name the school Paarl School.
The school was originally planned for 165 learners and the residences could accommodate up to 42 learners. Currently the school can accommodate a maximum of 350 learners.